Yan Chen's Self-Introduction

Subject: Self-Introduction 


Dear Professor,


My name is Yan Chen and I am writing this email to provide a description of myself, my engineering background and motivations, as well as my communication strength and weakness.

Having graduated from Temasek Polytechnic with a diploma in mechatronic engineering, I have learnt to visualise product designs using computer-aided drawing (CAD) software. I have also mastered the use of machinery such as milling machines and drill presses and I believe that these skills will be valuable in my future endeavours.

The reasons behind my interest for engineering lie with my admiration for my father, who works as an officer in the Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF). He served as a firefighter before an occupation incident caused an injury that has had a negative impact on his life. I am determined to find solutions that would prevent such incidents from occurring, thus improving public safety.

In terms of communication, my strength lies in my ability to empathise in conversations. During my internship, I worked in a company that provides engineering solutions for clients, taking the inputs of the production line workers and empathising with their struggles when suggesting improvements to my mentor was a skill I gained from the experience.

However, I have the tendency to avoid voicing out my opinions in heated discussions. It has been rather difficult as confrontations in the workplace are not uncommon and I need to understand that not all confrontations are negative as some stimulate insightful discussion, generating ideas.

Through this module, I would like to gain the ability to voice out constructive feedback during times of conflict and wish to further improve my vocabulary to prevent miscommunication amongst colleagues. To stand out in this course, I believe that my hobbies, including building custom computers and keyboards would give me an advantage as they have elements of engineering and have broaden my knowledge significantly. 

I hope this has helped you understand my character and motivations for wanting to be in this module and would like to hear from you soon.



Best Regards,

Lim Yan Chen




Comments

  1. Yan Chen's email shows a deeper dive into his personality and characteristics. There are some minor grammatical mistakes, but his letter provides for a good read overall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the comments, I will take into account the grammatical errors in my email and I appreciate that you have taken the time to review my email.

      Delete
  2. He showed his interest and his paraphrasing is pretty good. However i can spot some grammar mistakes in his letter but i could say yan chen good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To Syahiir,

      Thanks for making such a concise review of my email, like the earlier comment, you have also stated the grammatical errors in it and I will make changes to resolve them in future.
      Once again, thank you for taking the time to look into my email Syahiir

      Delete
  3. Dear Yan Chen,

    Thank you for the detailed letter. I appreciate the content aligned with the brief and clear organization. It's very interesting to us readers when you share your experience in terms of the personal motivation for studying engineering, your internship experience and your understanding of your own comm skills.

    I especially appreciate learning of your perceived weakness, though it's hard for me to imagine that you might hesitate to voice your opinion. In class you openly share ideas, which acts as a boon to class discussions.

    I look forward to working with you further this term.

    Cheers,

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Prof. Brad for taking the time out of your busy schedule to comment on my blog, looking forward to work with you in future. I appreciate all the feedback that you have posted and will continue to improve myself through them, to become a better writer.

      Delete
  4. One question of criticism: What did we say in class about salutations and the use of names?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Task 3: Importance of communication skills for engineers

Critical Reflection